Everyone take a moment of silence to appreciate the beauty that is pancakes. They are one of my favorite foods. Although actual National Pancake Day is sometime in September I think, today is IHOP’s national pancake day and I have chosen to celebrate from the comfort of my own home.
I am officially one week into this paleo thing and my favorite breakfast so far has been a grain free pancake. One of my favorite breakfasts is apple cinnamon oatmeal with almond butter and since I’m not supposed to eat oatmeal during this challenge, warm and delicious pancakes with almond butter have been a solid replacement.
Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
I found a few zillion recipes online but I tend to get a bit nervous around complicated recipes with lots of ingredients. I concocted the following recipe from the things I had in my pantry at the time.
- 2 tbsp Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp Apple Sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup (more if you want to use it as a topping)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In one bowl, mix egg white, syrup and apple sauce
- In another bowl, mix almond flour, baking soda, and cinnamon
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Add batter to a greased skillet and cook over medium heat (not high!). I like to do 2-3 medium pancakes but I have tried just a giant one and it’s delicious either way.
- When the edges look cooked flip em over and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Put them on a plate and add toppings of choice.
- Bananas: I have also used this recipe substituting 1/2 mashed banana for the apple sauce, then use the other half of the banana as a topping.
- Toppings: I’m obviously a huge fan of almond butter and I’m a weirdo who doesn’t love syrup. If you like syrup, go for it, I typically use a spoonful of almond butter and a handful of whatever fruit I have on hand.
If you’re looking for a real recipe from people who legitimately know how to cook (in my opinion) I got you covered.
Lemon Raspberry Pancakes- PaleOMG
Cinnamon Coconut Pancakes- Nomnompaleo
Chocolate Chip Espresso Pancakes- Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Brown Butter and Pecan Pancakes- Naturally Ella
Banana Bread Pancakes- How Sweet It Is
Coconut Protein Pancakes- Nut Butter Runner
Banana Nutella Oatmeal Pancakes- Picky Palate
What’s your favorite type of pancake?
What did you have for breakfast today?